Performing on stage may sound all exciting, but truth be told, it takes a lot of guts to stand and perform there in front of the audience. And if, you are among one of those people with stage fear then, it gets all the more difficult. For a performer having a stage, fear is the worst thing possible. This is why performers always try to do a stage rehearsal before the actual performance so that they can get the idea of how to present themselves on the stage.
For any performer presenting them the right way on the stage is of utmost importance. That’s because the audience not only judges you by your performance, but they also judge you by the way you present yourself in front of them on the stage. And if you are a singer then the pressure is all the higher for you. That’s because facing the audience eye to eye and performing is not an easy task. If you are new to the stage and wish to improve your performance, then you have come to the right place. Because in this article you will find some useful tips to improve your stage performance.
Tips to Follow
The skill to perform on stage is something that every singer should possess. While some are born performers, others have to work their way to perfection. But with these tips listed below, you can work on your stage performing skills.
Here you go with the list of stage performance tips for singers:
1. Don’t Stay Anchored To The Same Spot: The first and the foremost rule of performing on the stage for an artist is not to stay anchored at the same spot. That’s because most audiences prefer the artist to move around on the stage because it seems more engaging to them. By moving around on the stage, it doesn’t mean that you have to use every inch of the stage. Just roam about a little or come in the front and interact with the audience. That’s all you have to do. Also, it’s a very good way to mask your stage fear as you don’t have to keep looking at the audience continuously.
2. Improve Your Body Language: Body language is a must for every performer. Being a singer your body language should be able to convey the emotions of the song. This helps the audience to connect with you. You can also make eye contact with the audience to connect even better. Other than connecting with the audience, your body language also portrays your confidence. Carrying yourself with a good posture is the ultimate way to impress the audience. Obviously, along with it you also have to be a good singer as well, or else nothing will work.
3. Engage Your Audience: Engaging your audience while you perform on the stage is yet another important thing to consider. Because obviously, you wouldn’t want your audience to feel ignored, isn’t? A simple smile, eye contact or any hand or body gesture is enough to convey your engagement with the audience. While talking of gestures, the one thing that you should remember is that for a singer his hand gestures are of great importance. No matter what genre of music you perform on the stage make sure that you use your hand gestures correctly.
4. Make An Impression: Making an impression is like the most prized possession for an artist. For the audience to like you, it is really important that you make an everlasting impression on your audience. Right from getting on the stage until the time you get down, you should make sure that you can create an impactful impression on your audience. You see certain tricks work perfectly when it comes to impression building.
Like for example, when you get on stage make a sure walk in confidently and maintain that same level of confidence throughout your performance. Even if you go wrong somewhere in between in your performance, don’t get nervous instead, try to cover it up smartly and efficiently. All these small things count a lot, and therefore, you should be taking care of it.
5. Give A Powerful Performance: If you are an artist, you should better know how to rock the stage. After all, nobody likes a boring performance. Now would you pay for a boring concert? No right? Therefore, being an artist, it is your responsibility that you give your audience a powerful performance that they will remember for long. Make sure that your performance is so addictive that whenever you perform next, the audience comes rushing in to watch your show. In short, make the show worth it. Practice hard so that you can put up a great show as a singer.
6. Never Show Your Nervousness: Getting nervous before going to the stage is quite common. But the main trick is to hide it. Even the best of the singers get nervous before getting on the stage so, there’s nothing to be ashamed of. All you have to do is get better in hiding your nervousness and not let it affect your performance at any cost. If you can do this much then, there’s nothing else that you need to worry about provided that you sing nicely.
7. Use Props and Dancers: If needed you can also make use of background dancers or props to make things interesting on the stage. All these things always fit well with the audience. So you can give it a try.
Now that you know the tips hopefully, you will keep it all in your mind and implement them from your next performance. Once you start implementing them, you will see the difference yourself in the reaction of the audience. Obviously in a good way! And needless to mention you should obviously practice your skills so, that you can put up a good show for your audience.